Wednesday is opening day of the heralded Del Mar race meet near San Diego, CA. The 74th annual race season will offer 37 days of live racing through September 4, with the highlight coming in the form of the $1 million TVG Pacific Classic (G1) on Sunday, August 25. I have always read and heard about Del Mar and could not be more excited to get out to San Diego as our ABRV Tour bus will arrive on August 20.
Live racing begins at 2pm on Wednesday-Thursday and Saturday-Sunday, 4pm on Fridays and 1pm on Pacific Classic Day. Today features the Coors Light Opening Day Party presented by Red Bull, with DJ’s G*Roy and DJ Flesch spinning on the Red Bull Tour Bus Deck and also a live performance by San Diego’s award winning band Vokab Kompany. There will also be gourmet food trucks and a microbrew garden. It seems like Del Mar does an excellent job engaging new fans with the sport and I am curious to see who the special guest will be in their concert series on August 23 while I’m in town!
Opening Week boasts six stakes races including the $300,000 Eddie Read (G1) on Saturday for three-year-olds and up going nine furlongs on the turf. Here’s a look at all the stakes action:
- $100,000 Oceanside S. 3-year-olds, 1 mile on turf
- $100,000 Oceanside S. 3-year-olds, 1 mile on turf (Division 2)
- $100,000 CTBA S. 2-year-olds, 5 1/2 furlongs on Polytrack
- $300,000 Eddie Read S. (G1) 3-year-olds & up, 9 furlongs on turf
- $90,000 Osunitas S. 3-year-olds & up, fillies & mares, 8.5 furlongs on turf
- $150,000 San Clemente H. (G2) 3-year-old fillies, 1 mile on turf
- $150,000 California Dreamin’ H. 3-year-olds & up, 8.5 furlongs on turf